I took on a major deck repair this week. Should be the biggest one I have to do on 101 before the Transpac. It was a pretty big job, and took the better part of 3 days, but it should be worth it! Also ordered Lithium batteries and lightweight solar panels this week! The boat is coming toghether, week by week. Moore <3
This is what I began with a few days ago, after cutting out the top skin of the fiberglass deck. The deck had been leaking somewhere and the balsa core was wet, just forward of the traveller. I had to cut further and further into the deck, chasing the water until I got to dry balsa wood. The deck slopes down towards the toe rail, so it's pretty obvious that water leaked in and then seeped down with gravity. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed to find how widespread the moisture in the core was, but it needed to be fixed. This is my only soft spot in the deck, and my largest deck repair that I plan on doing before Transpac.