MONGO in the land of giants at Port Denarau Marina.
Only one thing is certain on the good ship MONGO, and that's that nothing is certain. After 10 days in New Zealand, I caught a red-eye back to Fiji and have been on the boat for the last couple of weeks; surfing, sailing, sick for a few days and now prepping for the journey to Australia. My sailing journalism work in France fell through and I declined a delivery as I wasn't wild with the terms. Unexpectedly, I was looking at another hole in my schedule and the decision was in front of me again. Should I stay or should I go? For a variety of reasons I have decided to go. Fiji has been absolutley spectacular and I have found in these islands a place where I could happily live and play, either short-term or long, but this journey on MONGO is exactly that... a journey. And all journeys must come to an end at some point. If I wish to sell the boat and return back to California before the northern-hemi spring like I had originally planned, then I must set sail around November 1 and get this Australia passage knocked out before the cyclone season starts. MONGO is currently in Port Denarau Marina where I am taking care of three months of deferred maintenance and making my preparations for what will likely be MONGO's final long ocean passage.